Friday, May 4, 2012

PINK SLIME INVADES THAI RESTAURANT IN TERRE HAUTE

EXOTIC THAI
1295 S. 3RD STREET
TERRE HAUTE, IN 47802
812-232-8898

The ONLY reason I am writing this is so that some other poor souls don't fall into the,  "I wonder if that Thai place is any good?" trap.
The place is called Exotic Thai and it is in Terre Haute, Indiana.
I have relatives there and have driven by it many times wondering what it was like. When I checked on line earlier in the year there were mostly very positive reviews on Yelp and UrbanSpoon. So when my usual haunt (Sushi Umi Grill) wasn’t open for lunch, myself and a couple of friends decided to give it a try. YUK, YUK and Gag! Lunch specials come with a soup, kind of a mild chicken broth with some onion in it, that was OK. When I say OK I'm being very kind.  They also come with a small salad with a kind of thick sweet dressing that was also OK as well.  For my entree I got spicy basil noodles, A.K.A. drunken noodles or Pud Kee Mau elsewhere. These were very different, with egg noodles instead of rice noodles. It was pretty bland to say the least. But lets get to the best part, THE PINK PAD THAI! It looked like a slimy pile of vomit deposited on the plate by someone that had downed a bottle of Pepto Bismol after eating some noodles and a little bit of chicken. Despite my visual revulsion I tasted it and, WOW, it was just sickly sweet with no other apparent flavor other than nasty! It got sent back and they still tried to charge us for it, but they eventually took it off the bill. By the way it was ordered with tofu not chicken anyway!  After the fact, I did some more searching for what Jamie Oliver has now coined as Pink Slime, and found my digust for this place is not alone!

No comments: